Sunday, January 2, 2011

PERSONAL PROJECTS IN THE NEW YEAR

Middletown
 
Hello,  and Happy New Year to everyone!  Well, we had our holiday break and if you're like me you probably had a great time with family and friends,  ate too much,  and well, were a bit lazy.  That's OK - we all need a break by the time the holiday season rolls around.  But as soon the New Year gets here I get itchy and ready to hit the ground running - new ideas and techniques to try, personal projects to get started, etc!

Like most photographers,  I have accumulated a long list of "personal projects" that have special meaning to me that I would like to work on through the years.  The reality is that most of these either never get started or fizzle out quickly due to paying work and other commitments for our time.   This is going to be the year!  Wait - I said that last year also!  Really though, this time I'm going to stay in the game! 

Off and on,  (mostly off),  over the past two years I have shot photos of abandoned structures I've stumbled upon.  Always found myself attracted to and intrigued by these vacant buildings.  Full of mystery and intrigue.  Who lived there?  Why did they leave?  I love history,  and I guess these vacant buildings pique my interest in the past.

I'll be traveling across the state of Missouri this year,  searching for these gems to photograph.  Ultimately, my desire is to publish a book featuring a collection of these photos.  But for now, one thing at a time - Get out, explore, and make photographs!

I encourage you to do the same - connect with some subject or place that has special meaning to you in the coming year.  Start your own personal project - make photographs - for the love of photography and to grow as a photographer!

Happy New Year!           Michael


Miller's Store

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts? Ideas? Feel free to leave a comment! Thanks!