Friday, May 27, 2011

Springtime in Missouri

Alley Spring - HDR photo

I guess everyone feels a special connection to the unique beauty of their home state - I'm no exception.  Missouri has been my home for all of my life and although I've always realized it was a diverse and beautiful place, I've really become aware of just how special it is in recent years.

As I travel throughout the many small towns and wild natural areas to create photographs I find myself amazed and excited at all of the discoveries seemingly at every turn!


Blue Spring

A recent trip through the Alley Spring area near Eminence provided a wonderful glimpse of the beauty of Spring in this special area of the state!  After a Winter like ours I (and I'm sure many of you) was chompin' at the bit to get out and soak in some beautiful weather!

My plan was to photograph the mill at Alley Spring, the movement and colors of the spring water, blooming wildflowers, and of course,  always looking out for those unexpected "gifts" that we all stumble upon if we keep our mind and eyes open to the possibilities.

A slight detour (missed a turn)! was a blessing in disguise as I hadn't planned on stopping at Dillard Mill but my unintended route placed me nearby so a quick stop was in order.  That "quick" stop turned into a lengthy photo shoot as the Mill offered endless photo ops!  Remember what I said - be open to the possibilities!  You never know!


Dillard Mill - HDR photo

What's that old saying?   Luck is when preparedness meets opportunity?  The next time you head out the door on your photo excursion,  prepare - your route, equipment, visual and artistic intent.  But remember and embrace a key element - the unplanned, unexpected, uncontrollable, and yes, possibly the most exciting part - those wrong turns that ultimately are right ones!


Flowering Dogwoods at Blue Spring

REAL WORLD SHOOTING TIPS - ROAD TRIPS
  • Pack a lot of gear - but leave most of it in your vehicle as you're shooting.   Just carry a minimal amount of gear with you as you shoot an area.  You'll be more focused on photography instead of feeling like a pack mule.  If you need a special item - walk to your vehicle and get it.  (Unless it's a 10-mile hike of course)!
  • Dress comfortably for the area and season.  A water bottle, snack bar, and disposable poncho are important items to have with you.
  • When you first arrive at a scene, slow down and just take it in for a bit.  Unless there is incredible, fleeting atmospheric and light conditions which dictate fast setup and shooting, you'll be able to see the photo compositions start to form in your mind's eye.  Then it's time to get the camera and start shooting.
  • Try different lenses, points of view, and effects ie. blurs, shallow depth of field, multiple exposures, etc.  Move through the area - don't get stuck in one place.  Oh, and don't forget to occasionally turn around and look behind you - many times this is the best viewpoint and photo to be taken!
 Enjoy Your Photography!  Enjoy Your Life!   Happy Shooting!

Michael

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts? Ideas? Feel free to leave a comment! Thanks!